2- ERASMUS+ KA107 International Credit Mobility Program (ICM Program)
What is International Credit Mobility (ICM Program)?
For over 25 years, Europe has funded the Erasmus+ program, which has enabled over 3 million European students to spend part of their studies in another higher education institution (HEI) elsewhere in Europe. Erasmus+ now opens up these opportunities to students and staff from other parts of the world. Under international credit mobility, a HEI in a Partner Country can send its students and vice versa. Students are able to study abroad for a limited period of 3 to 12 months for which credits are obtained. After the mobility phase, the students return to their sending institution to complete their studies. List of partner and program countries can be seen here.
How to apply?
The students registered in formal education programs at higher education institutions may benefit from the program on the condition that their home institution and METU signed a bilateral Erasmus+ ICM Exchange Agreement.
There is a specific unit at METU ICO, which carries out all the ICM operations at METU. This unit is responsible for organizing application calls and facilitating incoming student exchange mobility. The application process is started by the incoming student application call that METU ICM unit opens by contacting the partner institutions. The partners nominate their selected candidates. Applications without official nominations will not be accepted. Prior to their applications, applicants must be officially nominated by their home universities. An official nomination by the applicant's home University should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application documents for ICM Program is as follows;
- Selection Committee Report*
- Student Application Form through https://oibs2.metu.edu.tr/Incoming_Exchange_Student_Application/
- Home University Confirmation Letter*
- English Proficiency Document
- Transcript of Records
- Copy of Passport / National ID Card
* These documents will be provided by METU ICM unit to partner institutions during the application call.
- Minimum study years for undergraduate students: Undergraduate nominees must have completed a minimum of 1 year at your institution before visiting METU.
- MS/PhD Students: METU will accept graduate students for exchange only if:
a) They agree to take courses at our institution. Or,
b) They find a Research Supervisor at METU (by themselves) who is ready to accept to study with the student. In this case, the student should submit an acceptance letter from the agreed supervisor during the application period. Please note that it is not possible for ICO to assign academic supervisors to students who want to conduct research work at METU.
Medium of instruction at METU is English at all levels and programs. Please bear in mind that in order to be able to follow courses at METU, students are strongly recommended to have adequate level of English, meaning B1 level language competence according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or TOEFL (ibt) score of 79 or IELTS score of 6,5.
Application deadlines are provided in the call e-mails announced to the international offices of partner universities.
Application Period for Fall Semester: 1 April- 31 May
Application Period for Spring Semester: 1 October- 15 November
Scholarships for Incoming Erasmus+ ICM Students
According to the budget allocation made to METU by The Turkish National Agency, the countries and institutions that can be provided with Erasmus+ grant is determined, each year. The availability of budget and the number of participants that can be funded is announced to our partners by the application calls.
Incoming students, who will be visiting METU within the framework of Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility (ICM) program with scholarships recieve 800 EUR per month for individual support and some amount of travel support, ranging from 275 EUR to 1100 EUR, determined according to the distance of home university and Ankara (https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/resources/distance-calculat...) Students receive 70% of the total amount (individual support + travel support) at the beginning of the semester; and remaining 30% upon the successful completion of the semester.
It is possible to benefit from the program without scholarships (zero-grant).